Christmas is the season for greeting cards. Sending photographs and happy wishes to your loved ones, sharing your family’s joyful year with everyone, and even just as a small token of remembrance – these are the reasons why greeting cards never go out of style. In fact, most greeting cards are sold during the Christmas season; a testament to their enduring significance to this wonderful time of the year.
There are some who think greeting cards make terrible Christmas gifts, just because they aren’t flashy or expensive. Those who would give greeting cards are sometimes derided as cheapskates who wouldn’t want to spend a little more to share their holiday cheer.
In reality, though, greeting cards do have a significant impact, and there are some things that no amount of flashy gadgets or expensive gifts can ever replace. Here are five reasons to love greeting cards this Christmas:
1. Greeting cards have a sincere, human touch. This is especially true if you take time to write a message to your recipient, and not just content yourself with the generic, pre-printed “happy holidays” inside.
2. It’s easy to personalize a greeting card. In the past, you could only buy whatever designs were sold. Now with greeting card software programs, you can design your own cards. For Christmas, especially, you could personalize your card with a picture of your family and send it to your loved ones.
3. Greeting cards bring people together. Apart from an actual phone call (which can be rather expensive if you’re calling long distance), writing letters is the next best thing. Of course, emails and text messages exist now, but there’s something very impersonal about these options. Technology is great and there’s no denying that, but there’s always the appeal of and the promise of love across borders when you receive a greeting card.
4. Keepsakes and posterity. Greeting cards, especially the pretty personalized ones, can serve as souvenirs. In fact, greeting cards can be kept as reminders of someone who cares. There’s a reason why people often have a box in the attic, filled with letters and cards that mean so much to them. It’s a memory you can read and re-read.
5. With personalize electronic greeting cards, there’s no need to even go to the post office. If handwritten isn’t your thing, you can always send an electronic version. Just make sure you create a personalized design that sets your electronic greeting card apart.